background 1

Monday, May 3, 2010

Is this irritating…or just me?

So I work at a church on Sunday’s to make a little extra money. This church has a “daycare”. I put it in quotes because it really isn’t much of a daycare. Anywho…I was leaving yesterday and I noticed on one of the “classroom” doors (yes, classroom deserved quotes because I’m not sure how much learning is really going on and that’s what you’re supposed to do in a classroom, right?) that there were little posters with foam cutouts on them. First, the hippopotamus was labeled “cow”, excuse me, let me clarify, the cut outs were labeled by the “teachers”, continuing…the party hat with a face was labeled “girl”, a squiggly shape was labeled letters or W and my favorite was the elephant and it was labeled 2 ways, elphant and elaphant. Now I know what you may be thinking. “Maybe the kids spelled it that way and the “teachers” wrote it down”. Negative. These kids are maybe 3 or 4 years old and most of them would have spelled it much worse than this, if even at all.

I just feel that, if you are going to be a teacher, you should learn to spell correctly. At least for the sake of the child. My punctuation may be a bit off, but I’m working on that. I at least know how to spell and if by some chance I didn’t know how, I would certainly look it up before I put it on paper for people to see.

I am stepping down from my soap box now. Thank you very much.

S~

No comments: