background 1

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I'm wearing the poncho to bed

So my little man has the stomach flu.  It has been quite the adventure I must say.  I mean if you consider being thrown up on twice an adventure...
My niece Maggie was sick while we were in Canada and I think she shared her cooties with Zach.  It's so hard when they are this little because they can't tell you what's wrong, which has made sleeping EXTREMELY difficult.  Zach and I haven't slept through the night in about 3 nights.  He just sits there and cries and cries then will come lay with me and be restless, then get back up and cry some more.  This morning out of frustration I said "Zach!  You are fine...go back to sleep.  Stop crying".  Just so we are clear, I didn't yell at him, but I was tired...very tired.  So after that he threw up.  Fine went out the window at that point.  I thought that he was doing better.  Yesterday he didn't have a fever and he seemed more like himself, which was an improvement over how the night before went (projectile vomit definitely calls for a poncho).  Last night he actually slept without me having to hold him and he did really well until about midnight or so.  Then it was up, down, up, down, cry, nap, cry, nap.  By 0700 he had a fever again and was throwing up bile (I'm sorry, I know it's gross...but not half as gross as his diapers I could tell you about!).  So I nursed the bug long enough.  I followed the nurses directions from the weekend (thanks Optima triage nurse!), my instincts and Doug's, but after this morning, it was time for Dr. Curry to step in.
I took Zach to the doctor this morning, which he normally does well with, but as soon as Dr. Curry came in he freaked.  The good doctor told me that there is a stomach virus going around and he has seen many kids come in with it.  Unfortunately, it lasts about a week.  The good news is his week should be about up!  He said that since he is still too young, he couldn't give him medicine to help with the vomiting, nausea or diarrhea, but I could give him something to help with the snotty nose (yeah, we have that going on too).  When he finally got Zach's mouth pried open to peak at his throat, he told me that Zach was also cutting all 4 bicuspids at the same time.  How lucky are we?!
Zach finally ate some mini-saltines for me today (and by the way, they are so cute!) and some juice.  I stopped the pedialite because he didn't like it unless I cut it with water and I was informed by Dr. Curry that I was defeating the purpose.  $6.00 down the drain.  He told me to get him some gatorade, which I did, and he's only had a little bit.  The amusement ride in the living room is silent (his swing.  That boy can get it going like he's going to swing all the way around) so that must mean the little boy is napping or just really quiet while he watches Mickey Mouse,  so I think it's time for mommy's nap.

love
Sarah



No comments: