background 1

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Gobble Gobble

2 days ago was Thanksgiving.  This was my first Thanksgiving in 12 years that I didn't spend with my family.  This was also my first Thanksgiving without my aunts amazing pumpkin roll.  As horrible as this will probably sound, this was not one of my favorite years of Thanksgiving.  My cousins and uncle drove to NJ to spend the holiday with my other cousins and the ones that live in FL now drove to PA to spend it with their son.  All of which are totally understandable, but I missed them.
Doug worked on Thanksgiving and Zach and I went over to my sister in laws and had an untraditional Thanksgiving of make your own pizza.  Very different from Thanksgiving with turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, etc.!  Last night, I had Doug's parents and cousin over for a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.  His parents made the ham and a gigantic turkey and I made a green bean casserole (a healthier version of the old standby), peas with shallots and pancetta, stuffing (this did come out of a box), mascarpone cheese mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole with a brown sugar and pecan topping, rolls, cranberry sauce (can again because I like it that way!) and I made my moms double layer pumpkin pie.  That was very nostalgic for me.  This was my first time making such a big meal.  I loved it!  I wish I could cook like that for people all the time!  I love big family get togethers (although this one wasn't big.  My house won't allow for that).

Let me back track and tell you about Zach's birthday party.  I know that since he's one, he won't remember his first birthday party, but I wanted a nice one for him.  Since my house is pretty tiny, we had the party at Doug's parents.  It was Mickey Mouse themed and he had an amazing cake from the Custom Cake Shoppe.  My dad came from Texas to help us celebrate and my brother and his girlfriend came down.  Zach had so many friends and family to help him celebrate.  Let me just say, he is one loved little boy.  If any one who came to the party reads this little blog, thank you so much for making his 1st birthday party a great one!

In other news...I guess I can tell you this now...I'm going to be an aunt again!  My brother and his girlfriend, Jessye, are expecting their first baby June 18th.  She is 11 weeks pregnant right now.  I will admit, I was shocked and furious when he first told me!  I just think that they are way too young to have a baby.  He is 19 and she is 18.  But, I've had 11 weeks to get over it and now I'm pretty excited.  I've already started getting things together for them and giving them things that we won't use or aren't using anymore (takes up less space in my house!).  While my concerns for them and the baby are still present, I can't let them overshadow the excitement of a new baby.  I can just try and be there for them the best I can.

I guess that's all for now.  I wish I could post pictures, but apparently I'm a little slow when it comes to putting them up here.  Something always happens and they end up on the top, in a corner, not in the right order...I'm going to have to practice some more.

Love,
Sarah

No comments: